Since 2002, the Giant Center has been the home of the Hershey Bears hockey team and the premier indoor sports and entertainment facility in Central Pennsylvania.
Designed by HOK, the renowned architectural firm also responsible for Baltimore’s Camden Yards and Cleveland’s Jacobs Field among many others, the arena seats up to 12,500 and was built on 50 acres of unutilized land along Hersheypark Drive.
The state-of-the-art facility boasts a total of 306,000 square feet in the main arena and is 100 feet tall from floor to ceiling. It replaced the venerable HersheyPark Arena which had served sports fans and entertainment seekers for nearly 65 years.
Derry Township Municipal Complex
The Derry Township Municipal Complex was developed off of Hersheypark Drive in front of the existing Public Works Department. This much-anticipated, comprehensive facility houses the Police Department, Emergency Management, Administration, Community Development and the Tax Office, making it more convenient for residents and providing a safer, more cohesive work environment for township employees.
The ambitious and vital project was realized by converting two vacant Milton Hershey School residences and a barn to create an updated, operationally sound environment for workers and visitors. By preserving the existence of these homes, which had housed hundreds of former students over the years, the township was able to honor the Milton Hershey legacy.
In addition, the new 71,100 square foot complex was designed to accommodate 15 years of anticipated growth so that the needs of residents and township employees will continue to be met well into the future.
The Hershey Story
The story of Milton S. Hershey’s life and business is inextricably tied to the story of the town that bears his name.
Opening in January of 2009, The Hershey Story – The Museum on Chocolate Avenue has a one acre home adjacent to the newly revitalized Press Building and the Intermodal Transportation Facility.
The two-story, 45,000 square foot museum invites visitors to experience the stories of the founder, his community and visionary philanthropic endeavors in an educational, fun-filled environment. Among the engaging, interactive displays is the Chocolate Lab, inspired by Milton Hershey’s talent for experimentation. Second-floor exhibits cover four main categories: Inspiration & Experimentation; Master of Marketing; A Place to Live and Work; and A Living Legacy.
Given the pride Milton Hershey and his wife Catherine took in beautifying their model town with beautiful landscapes, the museum’s exterior is appropriately adorned with 35 new trees and other plantings to provide welcoming green spaces for visitors to enjoy. The Hershey Story is a downtown centerpiece that will continue to engage and inspire residents and tourists alike for generations.
Intermodal Transportation Facility
The Intermodal Transportation Facility, located just west of the historic Press Building in downtown Hershey, is a hub for community residents and visitors alike and will serve as a vital link for future development in the area.
This important project, begun in 2004 and completed in 2007, created a pedestrian bridge across the Norfolk Southern Railroad and a three-level parking garage with nearly 600 spaces. In addition, a terminal was constructed with a passenger waiting area and accommodations for Capital Area Transit, County of Lebanon Transit and Capitol Trailways bus traffic.
The Intermodal Transportation Facility is the cornerstone of future connections which are planned to provide enhanced local transportation options between the historic downtown business district and Hersheypark attractions.
Granada Avenue Gym and Fitness Center
In an extraordinary public-private partnership, the landmark Granada Avenue Junior/Senior High School has been brought back into service for the Derry Township community. Thanks to the shared vision of the township school district and those in the private sector, the hallowed halls have been redeveloped to house a gym and fitness center.
The Granada Avenue Gym and Fitness Center features two gymnasiums, a fitness center, locker rooms, a recreation hall, two multipurpose rooms and a craft room. The gymnasiums host team sports activities and instructional classes. In addition, the gymnasium and the recreation hall are open to students for after-school fitness activities and billiards.
Originally built by Milton S. Hershey as part of his vision for a consolidated school district, the buildings first welcomed students in 1925. It’s fitting, nearly 80 years later, that the same kind of dedication to the community resulted in a project that both preserved and transformed the landmark for the benefit of residents for years to come.
Hershey Volunteer Fire Department
After an exhaustive search to relocate, the Hershey Volunteer Fire Company decided to purchase two neighboring properties and expand the current fire station located in downtown Hershey, PA. The project space program required 28,000 square feet with 17,000 square feet of the existing being restored and renovated.
The Fire Company’s goal was to keep the original 1928 exterior façade and the essence of brick and stone to match both historical and modernization plans of the downtown Hershey architecture. KD3’s design concept was chosen for its sensitivity to the firefighter’s aesthetic preferences. Masonry walls, arched openings, and the hip roofline of the addition pay homage to Hershey’s first fire station built by Milton S. Hershey on Chocolate Avenue in 1906.
The expansion program required four double sided bays with bi-fold doors to accommodate department apparatus within a small footprint. A new prominent main entrance for the public was provided with direct elevator access. The new central tower is complimentary to the architecture of Hershey and includes four-story training with windows for the ladder, rappelling, and forcible entry drills. The new tower accommodates a smoke charged environment as well as charged hose line advancement.
The building highlights artifacts and a 1922 Packard engine, purchased by Milton S. Hershey, that is visible from the exterior through the glass overhead doors. The office area and conference room on the second floor incorporate an exposed 1928 wood ceiling/roof structure to express the original building structure.
An expanded fitness facility was moved from the basement to the second floor to provide generous daylighting. A second floor residential suite with five semi-private bunk rooms accommodates 18 firefighters. - from KD3 DESIGN STUDIO, INC